Pros & Cons To Joining A Unit?

8 replies to this topic

#1 O s t d a r v a

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:22 PM

What are the Pros & Cons to joining a UNIT?

I had a guy say to me today that he wanted to do drops for other factions and not whatever the leader chooses and that there aren't any real bonuses to joining a Unit other than meta or external communication between players.

Off the top of my head, I really can't think of anything to list off that joining a UNIT really adds to the experience other than being a part of a community and communicating with people.

Leader picks a contract and everyone else just plays the contract adding to it? I don't really see any other bonuses being provided to players for participating in faction wars. Are there any collective goals to work towards within a Unit?

Edited by O s t d a r v a, 11 October 2016 - 07:25 PM.

#2 ChaoticUrlond

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 108 posts
  • LocationMythical Land of Potatoes

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:26 PM

Pros - Ready to drop with in large groups, if you do FP.
Having Friends
I guess they could help you get better.

Cons - Drama, lots and lots of Drama

#3 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:29 PM

Maybe if you join a dictatorship, i am part of a unit and we often vote on what the UNIT wants to do as a whole.

But other then having a group of people to play with that you enjoy, play well and make your game play experience more enjoyable there really isnt much else.

There is no I win button, or secret unit mechs, but it does make the Group play experience a lot better and even FP to an extent. Having a full 12 on comms working together is a fun and IMO not something to just write off.

Dont knock it before you try it i should say, most of us get together on Friday (any night really who am i kidding) nights and drink a few brews, shoot a few mechs, crack some jokes and make fun of whoever is the butt of our jokes that night and we laugh and cry about the state of MWO.

What more could you want?

View PostChaoticUrlond, on 11 October 2016 - 07:26 PM, said:

Cons - Drama, lots and lots of Drama

Most the drama i see is from units that either are 19 yr olds or act like it. I cant say i have seen a single speck of "drama" in my unit because we dont allow it and if you try to start BS and act like a clown we give you the boot. Its really easy, just dont be a d*ck.

#4 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:45 PM

The difference between someone in your unit and just some "guy" is that you should be able to implicitly trust to help him (and that person helping you). As long as everyone knows they are a part of the team (and not worry about being #1 on the scoreboard), working together is a force multiplier that some people don't seem to grasp.

Otherwise, there's no point to being in a unit.

There are certainly negatives for being in a unit (may not be able to get along with others), but if you're honestly wanting to get better and willing to work together... a team is the best thing for your growth.

You should really drop with other people in the unit to get a feel and see if you think you'll be a fit. Don't just join a unit to just join.

Edited by Deathlike, 11 October 2016 - 07:46 PM.

#5 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:53 PM

As a one time social leper who got to rank 10 Davion as a solo PUG and proclaimed he would never join a unit, the best thing i have done is be a part of three great units. 1st Hussars, 2323 Reggies and now 228 IBR. Camaraderie, crap talk, build help, drunken Fridays, skills training, stupid build nights (ie all LRMs, all Adders), MRBC play, social atmosphere and people to share the game we love with. If youve never been a part of a unit, id highly recommend doing some drops with a few and joining one you think feels right. Try the unit experience, its more likely to be a blast than not imo.

Oh, should add, things change, people change, units change, you change, youre not tied to the one unit forever, if it was working but now isnt, explain to the people in your unit whats going on and your intention to leave.

Edited by Ace Selin, 11 October 2016 - 08:36 PM.

#6 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:02 PM

IMO, friends make things better. Obviously there are units with bad leaders &/or drama but for me my playing experience improved substantially when I joined my unit, 22nd Argyle Lancers.

#7 N0ni

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:06 PM

Pros:
  • You like the people in the unit and either have fun or good synergy.
  • Extended friends list if you don't already have someone on there.
  • Relaxed atmosphere.
  • Better results in group queue than grouping with random people.
  • Overall better MWO experience.

Cons:
  • Don't like the unit? Leave. Find another one that fits your playstyle / personality.
  • Don't want to join a unit? Make your own. Pick the contracts you want, when you want. Make some joke unit that means nothing. Etc.

Most importantly, as others have stated, don't join one just to join one. Have a few drops with one first and see if there's a connection made (i.e. either something you're looking for or something they're looking for).

#8 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:28 PM

If you find the right unit, ull be happy and dropping with like minded peeps.

If you find the wrong unit you will find frustration all the time.

Units are a lot like families in a lot of respects, you may not get along with 100% of the people in them all of the time but it really is a hell of a way to play the game.

The reason some people still play this game is because of the friendships they have made within a unit and lots of units stay on TS even when they are not playing MWO.

Find a unit that you feel comfortable with the people and enjoy the gaming experience.

Edited by Carl Vickers, 11 October 2016 - 08:29 PM.

#9 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:29 PM

View PostAce Selin, on 11 October 2016 - 07:53 PM, said:

As a one time social leper who got to rank 10 Davion as a solo PUG and proclaimed he would never join a unit, the best thing i have done is be a part of three great units. 1st Hussars, 2323 Reggies and now 228 IBR. Camaraderie, crap talk, build help, drunken Fridays, skills training, stupid build nights (ie all LRMs, all Adders), MRBC play, social atmosphere and people to share the game we love with. If youve never been a part of a unit, id highly recommend doing some drops with a few and joining one you think feels right. Try the unit experience, its more likely to be a blast than not imo.

Oh, should add, things change, people change, units change, you change, youre not tied to the one unit forever, if it was working but now isnt, explain to the people in your unit whats going on and your intention to leave.

Yep, I was solo for 3+ years, never thought I'd join a unit. Joining one was the decision ever.

As someone else mentioned, coordinated group play is an entirely different animal. You will discover the new and fun experience of hearing "Push!" and not finding yourself hung out to dry. I would definitely recommend a try-out to make sure they play the way you want to play and that their skill level is close to your own.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users